Monday, August 2, 2010

Pet peeves (or things that have royally pissed me off today)....

  1. If you e-mail me with a question about MFP and what MFP I have in stock that you may "desperately need" please have the courtesy to answer/respond to my e-mail-- even if it is just a "Thanks.  I'll let you know."  Really, is it that hard to hit "reply"?
  2. On a similar note- if you mark something urgent, I treat it as urgent, drop everything and get back to you as soon as possible.  This is your stuff, your inquiries, your bullshit.  If I can take the five minutes out of my busy day to figure something out for you and give you several options as to how to proceed, waiting >36 hrs to get back to me on how you want things done does not seem all that urgent to me. 
  3. Paper-grubbing- watching me set-up an experiment for all of five minutes (because you are "training" me) does not mean you get your name on my fucking paper.  
  4. Nor do I need your help designing or interpretating data from said experiment.  If I need the help, I'll ask someone besides you.
  5.  I do not care that your reaction didn't work.  I do not care about the nitty-gritty details of what you are doing, mostly because when the question is reciprocated you cut me off with some ADD tangent. 
  6. Please do not assume that I am a complete idiot. A minor idiot, OK, but treating me as a complete and total...as in how do you get dressed in the morning idiot...I can do without. And, by the way, just because I have a uterus does not mean that "it's my time of the month" because I got pissy with you for being a complete and total jackass.  
  7. Just because I have a uterus does not mean that I care that your kids went to the dentist and have no cavities.  That does not make you a good mother.  Watching your kids run up and down the hallways of the lab screaming like the devil's spawn that they are does not make you a good mother.  bringing them to the lab does not make you a good mother.  Making them sit in front of a computer and play games while you "work" or leaving them at home would maybe, possibly make you a better mother.
  8. Experiments do not always work--they don't.  It happens.  I do not need your help troubleshooting the experiment.  In fact, I really don't even want to talk about it.  I have several ideas as to how to fix things.  I do not need your help, especially since you ahve never, ever done these things before.  Please, also see #6.  
  9. If I am talking on my cell phone it is either (a) really important or (b) Mr. Dr. Zeek trying to figure out what time I am coming home so we can have dinner together.  You do not need to sit in my lab, listen to my conversation and then comment on it after I hang up.  Especially if you have come into my lab to tell me about #5 or #6. 
  10. Please, for the love of God and all things holy, do not tell me that smoking is bad for me.  No shit? Really?  Please get off of your sanctimonious high-horse and stop telling me that everything I am doing is unhealthy, yadda-yadda while you munch on your BigMac, super-sized fries and slurp down your Coke.  I would have to have lived under a rock not to know that smoking is a horrible, awful habit that is not only destroying my health but makes me "unattractive" (yes, that is what was said)  Do I smoke near you?  Around you? No.  You have to smell it on me when you come in my lab?  Then please, don't come in.
  11. Talking to someone while they are pipetting multiple things into a reaction cocktail mix is just cruel.  Continuing to talk after the cry of "Ah, Fuck. I already added that" is just plain mean.  
  12. When I say "I don't care" I really do mean "I don't care".  You will not be able to convince me otherwise.
Today sucked.  Sucked my soul dry.   Tomorrow I just want to shut my door and run some experiments.  It can't be worse than today, right?  I am just so frustrated.  It is bad enough that my enzyme is not behaving, but throw people into it and now things went from bad to unbearable.  It took all my willpower not to go screaming down the hall I don't care! I don't care.  No really. I don't.

I have not had enough "down-time," away from people, conversations, etc.  As much of an extrovert I can be (or at least come off as--those silly tests always told me I was an introvert), most of the time it is forced extrovertisim.  I need time away from people to recharge-otherwise I get like this-where everything and anything pisses me off.....  This weekend Mr. Dr. Zeek and I have no plans, no work, no anything.  We are locking the doors, taking the phone off the hook and not talking to anyone but each other.

EDIT: I just downloaded some Buckcherry, 90's alternative and all around lab rocking music for tomorrow.  It seemed to help a bit.....

No comments: